CUSTOMER NOTICE - I am closed between Friday 1st March and Monday 4th March due to exhibiting at The Guitar Show 2024. No online orders will be processed/handled until my return to 'normality!' on Tuesday 5th March. Thank you very much for your kind interest, support and patience through this busy show weekend.
A unique mod to an already versatile PJ bass
This was an interesting project to be part of. Repeat customer, Will, had added this Fender Player Plus MIM PJ bass 2nd hand to his collection and had started to make it his own, flatwounds, thumb-rest etc, but had found an area he wanted to improve upon.



The model features passive and active modes via a mini toggle switch, and I must say, the tonal range available in active mode is vast. But Will was finding that when in passive mode it was pretty limited, thanks to only a volume pot (and the blend for switching pickups). As you can see, it already has a pretty extensive array of control knobs, (master volume, blend for pickup selection, treble, bass and mid boost/cut controls and the passive/active switch) so adding another pot, even if it benefits adjust-ability to the passive mode, seemed excessive really.

After some chats he opted to to try a dual concentric/stacked pot in the volume position. Seemed a great idea, that was until I got the bass into my hands however, only to find that sadly wasn't viable thanks to the volume pot already being a stacked pot (one of course for the passive, one for the active modes) along with a rather large PCB being wired directly to the back of that same pot. Plans needed to change. He really didn't want to add another control knob, it's already cluttered enough and runs the risk of looking too OTT. Bouncing ideas around we fell on the idea of a stealthy roller pot instead, much like those seen in Jazzmaster and Jaguar rhythm circuits for example. He decided to go for that, so I made a plan of the general areas it was viable to route the body to accommodate this and he chose the final location for it.



I made a custom sideways bracket, routed the body as minimally as I could, painted it in cavity shielding paint as to match the rest of the existing factory cavity. Modded the pickguard to accommodate the roller wheel and wired it up to the passive circuit.



So now he can achieve more versatility within it's traditional passive P bass tones he really wanted, along with the already incredibly versatile active mode as normal. Subjectively of course, I don't think it hasn't altered the look of the bass a great deal really either.

Leave a comment

Please note: comments must be approved before they are published.